Deals activity: South and Central America sees significant decrease in volume; solar PV remains leading sector

Powered by 

Deals activity by geography

Power industry deals, as captured by GlobalData’s Power Intelligence Centre, are down year-on-year (YoY) across all regions.

North America is leading in terms of deal value, but also recorded a slight decrease in YoY growth in deals volume at -1%. South and Central America, ranking last in terms of deal value, has also suffered the biggest YoY change, with deal volumes at -28%.

The volume of deals recorded by GlobalData also decreased YoY in Middle East and Africa (-22%), Asia-Pacific (-1%), and Europe (-10%).

Deals activity by type

Deal typeTotal deal value (US$m)Total deal countYoY change (volume) 
Asset Transaction73715333293420
Debt Offering43020411325349
Equity Offering1476786750926
Venture Financing667374726125
Private Equity452045240925

A breakdown of deals by type and volume shows mixed results; while mergers are down -83% and partnerships down -15%, asset transactions are up 20% and acquisitions' have seen 20% growth. Financing deals have seen more positive results, with venture financing up 125% YoY, private equity up 25%, equity offerings up 26%, and debt offerings saw growth of 49%.

Deals activity by sector

In the year so far, perhaps the most notable conclusion to draw from GlobalData’s analysis of power industry deals by sector is hydro's usurpation of fossil fuels. While all other sectors have retained their relative rankings from 2020, hydro has now slipped past fossil fuel with 132 deals to 121. 

Note: All numbers as of 29 March 2021. Deals captured by GlobalData cover M&As, strategic alliances, various types of financing and contract service agreements.

For more insight and data, visit GlobalData's Power Intelligence Centre.

Latest deals in brief

Hive Energy sells Spanish solar farm project

UK-based solar energy company Hive Energy has sold its Sabinar solar farm project to Israeli investment fund Noy Fund and green tech firm Nofar Energy.

Located in Cuenca, Spain, the 252MW solar farm will cover a 452ha area and is due to enter the construction phase this year.

Octopus Energy Group to acquire sister company Octopus Renewables

UK-based Octopus Energy Group has announced plans to acquire its sister company Octopus Renewables.

With this deal, Octopus Energy Group aims to add $4.6bn (£3.4bn) value of generation capacity to its green energy asset portfolio.

Northland Power and PKN Orlen finalise Baltic Power stake purchase

Canadian company Northland Power and Poland’s PKN Orlen have finalised a stake purchase involving the Baltic Power offshore wind farm.

Under the deal, Northland Power’s subsidiary NP Baltic Wind will acquire a 49% stake in the 1.2GW wind farm in the Baltic Sea. PKN Orlen will retain the remaining 51%.

National Grid buys Western Power Distribution, sells Narragansett Electric

UK-based transmission operator National Grid has agreed to acquire Western Power Distribution’s holding company PPL WPD Investments from PPL WPD, for an equity value of $10.8bn (£7.8bn).

PowAR and Mercury to acquire Tilt Renewables’ businesses

Tilt Renewables has agreed to sell arms of its business to Powering Australian Renewables (PowAR) and Mercury NZ. PowAR will acquire Tilt Renewables’ Australian business and Mercury NZ its New Zealand business.

Rhizen signs oncology drug development deal with Curon

Swiss biopharma company Rhizen Pharmaceuticals has signed an exclusive licensing agreement with Curon Biopharmaceutical to develop and commercialise Tenalisib for oncology in the Greater China region. Tenalisib, a highly selective dual PI3K delta and gamma inhibitor, is currently in Phase II clinical development for haematological malignancies. The US FDA granted fast track and orphan drug designations for the drug candidate Tenalisib as a treatment for relapsed/refractory peripheral T-cell lymphoma and cutaneous T-cell lymphoma.